Re: Bad Pig?

Hi Curt,

In my post regarding the measurement of no-load current, I stated my pig measured 1/4 amp at 240 Vac input. You obviously have a shorted winding. It could probably be rewound, but the oil is probably contaminated. It's probably least expensive to just find another transformer.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

By now I'm sure the group is sick of my trials and
tribulations trying to run my pig.  But as of tonight
I'm pretty sure the pig is dead (or at least
terminal).

Tonight I took a variac and drove voltage into the low
voltage side and read output at the HV bushings.  I
also monitored the input current with a clip on meter.
 See below for data:

Vin    Vout   I
3.1V   163V   6A
6.7V   340V   15A
9.1V   474V   19A

Bottom line, with no load on the HV bushings the pig
draws approximately 20A with only 10V applied.  That
ain't right, is it?

The pig is rated 10KVA, 18200V, 240/120V.  With 240
input that would represent a turn ratio of 75:1.  The
data above is approximately 50:1.  Not sure what that
means but it doesn't seem right...

I'm ready to pich the pig and start a search to find a
new one.  Please advise if I've come to the wrong
conclusion.

Thanks,

Curt.

_