                         Abstract

In this paper, we recount how Tesla's 1899 Colorado Springs electric fire balls were produced and we document the phenomena with photographic evidence. As the Symposium participants will see, the solution to this mystery, like Poe's famous Purloined Letter, was placed by Tesla right before our eyes all the time. In this paper we shall discuss the following:

First, we note that a close examination of the Diary photographs of Tesla's RF oscillator reveals several surprising circuit configurations and even a fire ball event.

Secondly, we discuss the remarkable Soviet work of B.M. Smirnov and his Fractal theory of ball lightning. We conclude that Smirnov's analytical model provides a consistent description of the sort of fire balls which Tesla produced ninety years ago, and that the present experiments provide a documentation of Smirnov's Mandelbrot-Fractal theory of ball lightning.

Lastly, we take the audience into our laboratory to see our equipment, follow our procedures and see the photographic results of doing what Tesla told us to do and showed us to do - ninety years ago. We show color slides of glowing isolated fire balls, spectacular multiple fire ball events, and even ball lightning passing through a glass windowpane.
[END]

A Basic program named FRACTAL.BAS is included as part of the paper in the 1990 Proceedings.

90  REM "Fractals", by Peter SORENSEN, BYTE, September, 1984, pp. 157-172.
92  REM modified to display standard Julia Set by J.F. Corum, July 31, 1989

The FRACTAL.BAS software is bundled along with TCTUTOR in the Tesla Wardenclyffe Project's version of TESLA COILS--AN RF POWER PROCESSING TUTORIAL FOR ENGINEERS, Kenneth L. Corum and James F. Corum, Ph.D. (see http://www.tfcbooks.com/mall/more/499tcrf.htm).

A shortened version of "Fire Balls, Fractals and Colorado Springs," "Tesla's Production of Electric Fireballs" (extract from TCBA NEWS, volume 8, #3, 1989) is located at http://home.dmv.com/~tbastian/ball.htm.