Re: Disassembling transformers

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/11/06 1:08:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Silicon rubber is the only thing I am certain will not soften in oil.

Gasoline, although it may not _dissolve_ silicone rubber, will cause it to relinquish its grip and to effectively soften. Most containers of silicone intended for automotive applications will precaution against use on fuel systems. Granted, gasoline isn't exactly oil, but I've always wondered what exactly it was in gasoline that attacks the otherwise resistant silicone. I've never been impressed with the use of RTV silicone for sealing against oil even under the best conditions. Or even against water in outdoor applications. Personally, I don't trust it unless you completely _pot_ the item to be protected, or use pre-cured silicone gaskets.

-Phil LaBudde