RE: ballasting, alternators, Saturable, controllable cores

Thanks for the reply!

Presently, I am not using the genset as a machinist is setting up the
registration between the diesel flywheel and the flex plate from the
armature. I am limiting my dedicated single phase 70amp 240v Edison circuit.
However, the idea of limiting the field current in the alternator is
intriguing and since Tesla invented the rotating magnet field to begin with,
highly appropriate.

Clearly, I am going to have to crack the books on this. The alternator
schematic clearly shows the exciter field bridge diode assembly's connection
to the regulator transformer along with the suppressors rv1 and rv2 across
the main and exciter fields and the six pulse diode assembly.

The alternator is presently wired for 277/480 volt wye output operation. I
planned to scale it back to 139/240 which is where the variac consideration
also came into play when the "big one" hits here. I mention the suppressors
on the fields as it is nagging to me that the generators smoked in Colorado
Springs due to some reflected harmonics back from Tesla's coil, did they
not?

So much to learn, so little time... I should mention that this is a heavy
duty alternator, very conservatively rated at 18.7 KVAR with very heavy
windings. The armature shaft is 2".

Jim Mora
Ojai,Ca.

Harvey, if Terry would be so kind, I could scan the schematic inside the
termination box for your clarification remarks, and to augment my limited
education in this area. My neighbor down the street rewinds motors for the
oil patch here; but, I would rather not have to humbly bring it to him :-^)