Re: primary design?

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Robert.

> On My next tesla coil, I am wanting to make a cilindrical primary but
> I was wanting to use rings of coper (the rings will have a gap) held
> in place one on top of the other.
Hm, I don't see the point. Do you already have rings od copper your
want to use for this? Rings of what? Ribbon, tubing, wire ?

> The rings will be conected in
> series by attaching a wire to one end of one ring and connecting it
> to one end of the next ring above the first ring and the other end of
> the second ring will be conected to one end of the third ring.
If I understand this right, this would give you a stepped primary. I
don't think there is any particular electrical problem with this setup,
though you would have to make a lot of interconnections between
the rings which could become a source of resistive losses.

>or I
> might wire the rings in a paralell form.
This would give you a sinlge turn primary consisting of several coils
in parallel. Can work but is usually not what you want as the inductance
is pretty small, you might need a big tank cap -> high peak currents ->
more losses.

> Does anyone see a problem
> with these designs?
Complicated, unneccessary, electrical disadvatages ( 1-turn
solution ).
The only positive thing I could see would be any optical
preference you might have.

> Would one design give better performance than the
> other?
If at all, you's better go for the several turns primary

> Any coments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be impolite, but I just don't see
sour point, but maybe I'm getting it all wrong....

best regards

Christoph Bohr