Re: noob questions

Hi Jay,

At 09:10 AM 2/2/2006, you wrote:

I just joined the list, and am going to ask some quick newbie questions. I
know very little about how Tesla coils work, or even electricity for that
matter - but, my nephew (a professional electrician) is going to work with
me to get something going. Is there any sort of intro to coil theory and
building that is available on the web that would get us quickly up to speed?

There are a lot of web pages that try to explain how Tesla coils work. It is a little tough since you never know the background of who is asking. People who are electrical engineers get one explanation and people who are normally insurance agents get another. There is no "one" perfect explanation....

Here are a ton of Tesla coil sites and google gives a ton more. I think it is best just to start whipping through them fast and find ones that seem to answer your questions in a way you like.

http://j.webring.com/hub?ring=teslaring

"I" like:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

But I am an EE and so is Ritchie... So we talk like engineers ;-)) But 95% of the coilers are not engineers and their coils work fine too ;-))

So search around other people's site to find one that works for you. The most important thing is "you want one" which will drive you to "make on" regardless ;-))) Cool about your nephew who will know all about wires and stuff!! He will have friends who have friends too to help find things like NSTs ;-))) He will also know what wires not to touch :o))

I have done a lot of looking, but everything seems fragmentary and technical
- it often presumes prior knowledge. What's something good that will give us
a comprehensive understanding of the various principles and options for
building?

I often recommend looking at the other coils out there on the net and find one that is well explained and looks like something "you could do" too... Then sort of "copy it" ;-)) "They" have already worked out the tricky details. It is most mechanical putting the part together then without having to figure out all the math and stuff right away...

It takes a fairly large amount of study to "figure it all out the first time". But once you have made your first one, then it all falls right into place!! Calculation the primary and secondary frequencies seems very mysterious at first. However, if you have a real coil in front of you, it makes sense real fast ;-))

I have seen that most seem to fall into either spark gap, vacuum tube, or
solid state. Then after that, some seem like they have more adjustments than
others. What are the pros and cons of each? From my admittedly ignorant
perspective, the vacuum tube ones seem the most interesting.

Solid state coils tend to require oscilloscopes and a fairly heavy background in solid state electronics. They are real cool, but the people that make them tend to "know a lot" already... They can blow up and can be money pits, so they tend to attract the "state of the art" "bleeding edge" folks... "I" would not recommend them for a first coil unless it was a super simple one or you design IGBTs for a living...

Vacuum tube coils are very popular with people into HAM radio or that have worked with tubes before. Some very nice first coils have been made, but the effort is high. HAM, radar, and radio folks have and advantage here since they know the details already...

I think about 95% of coilers start out with the NST, MOT, or similar spark gap disruptive coils. From there they go to what they like. If the NST coil was "just too easy" then they might try solid state. If it was tough, then they go for a bigger NST system ;-)) Typical disruptive coils are fairly cheap, forgiving , and there are a lot of folks (probably local) that know how to fix it if it does not work right off...

So unless you have some special background in solid state electronics or tube radio stuff, the simple common disruptive coil is the place to "start". Even auto ignition coils can do wild things ;-))

http://www.powerlabs.org/gmheicslr.htm

Are there designs which run quietly, instead of the characteristic loud RAT
TAT TAT? Are some designs inherently safer than others?

The top streamers themselves often drown out the spark gap!! Tube coils can be pretty quiet and CW solid state coils almost silent... But in general, count on it being darn loud!! ;-))

What about the structural design? Most coils seem to follow the standard
look of the Tesla's original with a tall, thin, pole-like design. But what's
the story with something like these:

For a first coil, make it like everyone else's!! I don't recommend you go into new and experimental designs for the first time ;-))) You want a simple easy coil that will work without fuss...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07cmo/hv/goldman/goldman.htm

Many of the coils shown there just put out "little" sparks which are cool for portable party impress the friends things ;-)) That might be good if that is what you want!! You sort of have to look at many coils and decide what you want in your own situation... There are many many choices!!!

And lastly, are there any builders in my area? USA, New Jersey, Northern
part, along route 78.

We are every where ;-)) I think 1 in 10,000 random people in the USA are coilers or know a significant amount about them. Search them out ;-)) About 1 in 100,000 knows a LOT ;-))

Locals will probably contact you directly. That is usually how we meet up and trade ideas and stuff!! There are big sort of organized meetings around the county too and probably one sort of near you... Many coilers are not into the internet stuff too, so they are sort of hidden... If you ask around you will find them... Any electrical hobbyist meetings such as hamfests, robotics, electricians... will turn up coilers...

Cheers,

        Terry

Thank you,

Jay McDonald