MMC cap ratings (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:30:26 -0700
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: MMC cap ratings

You can get by with lower ratings, sometimes as low as 2.0 x Erms.

Manufacturers such as Maxwell (now Sorrento Electronics) has always rated
their industrial caps for 3.0 x Erms.  This insures long life without
fatigue.  I always use 3.0 x Erms for my cap banks.

If you use a lower rating you risk failure at a critical venture such as a
demo at a local school, etc.

Due to the relatively low cost of MMC caps and hours of wasted time trying
to find a few failures or partial failures in a large cap bank, it's usually
prudent to consider using 3.0 x Erms value for experimenter cap banks.  In
most cases we are only speaking of 4-5 additional caps, ie, $20 per string
more to insure a very high quality and long lasting performance from your
cap bank.

Dr. Resonance