Re: IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip?? Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer.. (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:14:47 +0100
From: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IGBT long life at 3X rated Ip??  Re: 15kva 14.4 kV  Transformer..
    (fwd)

Terry,

"Us" that commercialized the solid state coil ;-} have been running
multithousand amps for years.

A replica of Steve`s 2-brick OLTC motor is running in museum service,
and it is counting 1 1/2 year now.
The coil is intermittent running, In short 116 ringdown long bursts, to
simulate lightning strikes. These bursts are 0.3sec long at 300BPS. That
ads up to around 1 hours total a day. So a very rough guess is that it
is up to around 200 hours now. This coil is using PRX CM600HA-28H`s,
doing up in the high 3000ths of amps.

If IR would supply me with replacements, I could swap them out on a
service visit.

But if they fail, I`l post the results, of course.

Cheers, Finn Hammer