Re: A&E Tesla coil, and Mind Freak. (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:33:50 +0900
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A&E Tesla coil, and Mind Freak. (fwd)

I agree with the "no touch" advice.  However, I have just noticed that one
of my website pics is on page 2 of Google images for "Tesla coil".
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://members.iinet.net.au/~pterren/Teslahand.JPG&imgrefurl=http://members.iinet.net.au/~pterren/Tesla_coil_sparks.htm&h=1281&w=1866&sz=181&hl=en&start=37&tbnid=APGkMXSAHbHO8M:&tbnh=103&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtesla%2Bcoil%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN
or direct to the pic on my current site:
http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm#Mini%20coil
You guessed it, sparks on to my unprotected hand.  These are only 2 inch
sparks from a very low powered demo coil.

Since about 1973 I had another small Tesla coil (ferrite core and ceramic
caps) that gave 2 inch sparks that I would contact with a metal object or my
hand.
http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla_coils_intro.htm#My%20first%20proper%20Tesla%20Coil%20(circa%201975)
This coil ran for 20 years despite the ceramic caps.

I made a coil for the local physics dept which has a Faraday cage.and
capable of 3 foot sparks. I was horrified to learn that the instructor was
drawing sparks onto a metal object he was holding after removing the Faraday
cage. Like he had been doing for ? 20 years with their previous historical
coil.  It turns out that removing the Faraday cage detuned the coil and the
performance significantly. Still highly NOT recommended.  I am in the
process of making a small "safe" coil to replace the hands on aspect for
lighting fluouro tubes.

Peter