Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer/MMC failure (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:45:00 -0600
From: Dr. John W. Gudenas <comsciprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer/MMC failure

Steve and DC
I have been using a completely rebuilt DRSSTC for the past year. It
essentially has Steve Wards electronics with modifications I made.
Steve and I have had regular correspondence about this coil. The
first failure was the MMC. I redesigned the MMC bank roughly for a
20% voltage increase, but a 50% current increase.
This bank has not failed, however, on July 4th this past summer I was
having a prolonged run outside. The coil was running at least an hour
@ 140 v from the variac until a gust of wind directed the streamers
all over the place. The secondary arced and opened about 3/4 up and
the IGBT's blew. After I killed power I felt the MMC and electrolytic
supply and both were warm, but not hot.

Since then I repaired the secondary (I think Steve will get a look )
replaced the IGBT's and the coil performs great. I did a demo for the
science club at the university Physics lab and the coil
ran incredible. It is designed to produce streamers from a discharge
point in the toroid center like a VTTC. This lets a small geometry
coil streamers go up toward a ground area above (The hanging and
grounded light fixtures in the Physics lab.) A newspaper reporter was
there as well as faculty and about 45 students. The reporter had a
great picture for the local newspaper  and I was told (I did not see
as I was watching an LED in the coil base) that
when I cranked to 140 v on the variac the streamers made it to the
light fixture that I measured afterwards to be about 48 inches away.
This coil draws around 8 amps from the 120v main.

This was a 20 minute run at multiple power levels and all components
were cool.  I don't have direct measurement data to support your
conclusion, but I made the same inference that you did.
I only have the "build it bigger and stronger" experience that
supports yours and Steve's notions. I experienced equivalent issues
with my VTTC exploding high voltage mica caps (10x primary voltage)
until
it became obvious that it was a current issue.  One can likely get
away with a lot if you run your coil on short duty cycles. But the
stress factor really goes up for long run time.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science

SNIP -------- SNIP ------------ SNIP