Re: 16" Pancake Coil discharge photos (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:26:29 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 16" Pancake Coil discharge photos

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the flat coil links. I've seen these before and they
certainly were part of my wanting to build flat coils and to put a
little Bart flavor in there, not necessarily in the aesthetics, but the
possibilities. I've built a flat coil already using a single MOT driver
and single static gap for some interesting but not dramatic sparks. I
want to start building a coil of high coupling and yet simple non-maggy
setup. I think the flat coil has that possibility simply due to it's
geometry where any other configuration does not. That is part of my
curiosity. The rest is simply curiosity.

I realize and have experienced the issues with flat coils regarding
flashovers, using flat coils with a helical center coil, and that basic
geometry. I'm now going back to the beginning. Looking at the Tesla's
design, building something replicating that design, and then measuring
the coils misc. attributes. Following that and possibly the data it
provides, I can account "first round" for a highly coupled tuned primary
circuit to drive it. I'll likely start with a simple spark gap and then
upgrade the coil to a solid state driver.

Take care,
Bart