Re: oscilloscope.. (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:56:59 -0800 (PST)
From: davep@xxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: oscilloscope.. (fwd)

> I am thinking of purchasing an oscilloscope. There are many out there
> with many features..10mhz-1ghz. Digital, dual trace, analog..etc. seems
> that the most common are @ 100 mhz, 2 channel. Most do not include
> probes. These are not cheap so, If you-all would give me some advice on
> buying a scope..or if someone has one in working order for sale...let me
> know..Thanks in advance...
     I (used to.... 8)>>) know a bit about scopes.  Others have used them
     more in coil;ing environments, so be guided.

      I would tend towards:
            Analog
            Not Blindingly fast

      1Ghz is more expensive, not of real use, unless something
      specific be planned.  100 MHz is plenty, i'd think.

      Digital, well, be guided by others, but tends to get
      confused in noisy environemnts.  Does have nice psuedo storage
      and sometimes math functions (calculate true power in).

      Its sorta the rong time of year: come mid summer the various
      hamradio flea markets will spring, with the spring, with used
      bits for sale...

       best
        dwp