Re: A&E Tesla coil, and Mind Freak. (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 01:39:51 -0600
From: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A&E Tesla coil, and Mind Freak. (fwd)

Interesting bit of information there Greg.  Have you measured this
yourself?  Im curious as to how you did measure this.  Also, im
curious as to the failure mode presented in real tesla coils where
this gradient is exceeded.  Is it a localized arc-over, or does it
present itself across the entire coil?  Im thinking back to when i was
pushing my 45" long secondary to 145" sparks, where at one point i had
a bright white spark jump down the entire coil surface.  At 8kV per
inch, that would suggest my coil can support no more than 360kV.  This
is about what i'd expect from this coil (produces 10-12 foot sparks).
Its a DRSSTC if that matters to anyone.

Steve