Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:14:26 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Hi Paul,

Excellent! Thanks for running the numbers. I should be able to perform
the measurements you discussed once the coil is ready. The comparison
between inner and outer grounded configurations noting the current
maximums are interesting, especially the rim grounded case where the
current rise to max is in the first few turns.

For the primary, I planned on using about 30 feet of copper ribbon,
about 2 turns. I was planning on the ribbon starting about 1" proximity
and to be wound in the same direction and on the same horizontal plane
of the secondary with 0.375" spacing between the 2 turns. So, just
imagine the ribbon as an extension of the secondary with the joint of
the two coils to be grounded. The ribbon itself is small but should be
sufficient. The ribbon dimensions are .007 x .375.

BTW, in Javatc I don't allow for the rim grounded situation (geometry
error). There are reasons for this but may not be needed with this
particular coil configuration (I'll have to check that out). I was able
to perform the model with Fantc however with no problems, however,
numbers are quite a bit off from your sim software. Ex; Lee came out to
7.5mH, 495kHz. This was using the highest resolution Fantc allows.

Take care,
Bart