Re: Personal intro, 4,062 joule thumper, what to do with it (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:13:00 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Personal intro, 4,062 joule thumper, what to do with it (fwd)

From:  "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subj:  Personal intro, 4,062 joule thumper, what to do with it (fwd)
Date:  Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:51 pm
Size:  2K
To:  tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- 13:33:58 -0600
From: Igor Chudov <ichudov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Personal intro, 4,062 joule thumper, what to do with it

Recently a thumper followed me home. It is described here.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/High-Voltage/Hell-Machine-THUMPER/

With voltage up to 25 kV, and capacitance of 13 uF, my thumper is
designed to deliver up to 4,062 joules, or approximately the energy
carried by bullets from a burst of assault rifle fire.

With generous prodding from Bert, I got it to work.

Now the question is what can I do with it.

My immediate plans are to a) try to shrink coins and b) try to make
lightnings by burning up thin wire and hoping that the exploding wire
is hot enough to ionize air to carry the bulk of the discharge.

...... Both of those will do.  Coin shinking is easy. So are exploding wires.  Neither will work very well with 50 ft of cable.

If so, I would like to hear some relevant experiences.

Specifically is blowing up copper wire for lightning a long term
health hazard (I am afraid so, and thus want to explode steel wire).
. Not a significant hazard with either.  Start with something like awg30 wire a couple meters long.

As for coin shrinking, I want to build a sturdy steel box for
containing explosions.

..i use the cavity in a slump block (a bit more dense than the usual cinder block) and another solid concrete brick on top.