Re: PIRANHA-III Power control? (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:28:08 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PIRANHA-III Power control? (fwd)

I have had discussions most of the day today with ON Semiconductor, Teccor
Electronics, and STI Semiconductor.  Their application engineers were very
helpful and sent me several informative diagrams.  Brian and I are digesting
their content and will propose a complete circuit in the next few days.

I think we have the problem solved using optoisolated 555 timers driving
back to back SCRs.  Teccor especially has one that is rated for 65 Amps,
isolated mtg, and with back to back will handle up to 91 Amps Irms.  All for
only $5.60 from Digi-Key!!  p/n is S6065J.

I will be doing experiments with our iron core current peak clipping chokes
using this setup.  We hope to have a complete solution by Jan 15th for the
variac elimination problem.

According to the engineers I have worked with this solution should also
enable us to use very cheap control even with pole pigs!!  In a box weighing
under 10 lbs.

The engineers also had very good snubber suggestions that I will incorporate
into my drawings.

Dr. Resonance"

	What kind of line current waveforms do you anticipate and does
that box weight include enough RF filtering to keep switching garbage off
the line?

Ed