Re: question on rf ground (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:52:56 -0700
From: Gerry  Reynolds <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question on rf ground (fwd)

Hi Russell,

Arcs from the top load will want to return to the "base" of the coil.  As
far a grounding the coil base,  this attraction will not change so your 20
inch arc should be unaffected (assuming no other breakdown).  However, to
prevent arcing between the secondary and primary, it will be important to
keep the base potential close to ground, hence the RF ground connection.
Another benefit is when an arc hits something that is earth grounded.  The
return current will be seeking the coil's base.  It is important to allow a
path that does not involve the house wiring's safety ground and RF ground
also serves to provide this path.

Gerry R.