Some interesting photos regarding Tesla from the Edison archive... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:39:01 +0000
From: Jeff Behary <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: dcuscela@xxxxxxx, alias@xxxxxxxxxxxx, mseifer@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
    ken.corum@xxxxxxxxxxxx, pvsci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jcorum@xxxxxxxx,
    gjohnson@xxxxxxx, wysock@xxxxxxx, chrisbach@xxxxxxxxxx, fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Some interesting photos regarding Tesla from the Edison archive...

Hello all,

This is something interesting. First off, for fun, two Edison replies which are quite good. One to Electrical Review, written on the same letter sent to him: "YOU HAVE TESLA THAT OUGHT TO SATISFY YOU" (in regard for a request to comment about X-Rays) and more so on a related topic, more calmly, "...Tesla is an experimenter of the highest type and may produce in time all that he says he can."

However, it was to my great surprise to find more in the Edison archive. For over a decade I have believed the first commercial Tesla Coil to have been made by LE Knott Apparatus Company in Boston, 1897. This fact has been documented since the turn of the century. But oddly I found another Tesla Coil in the Edison archive, nearly identical to the Knott Apparatus, from 1896 - made by none other than Elihu Thomson. The only difference is that the LE Knott coil used a Rotary Gap, Thomson used an air-blast to quench the gap. LE Knott Apparatus Co. publically promoted their coil as being a "Tesla Coil". Thomson of course did not.

Could it really be true that the first commercial Tesla Coil in the US was made by no other than Elihu Thomson and sold by General Electric? Say it isn't so!

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com

Type your favorite song.  Get a customized station.  Try MSN Radio powered by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001