Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:28:15 EST
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Wire Length (fwd)

In a message dated 12/16/06 11:25:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Subject:  Re: Wire Length

Let me see if I am getting this right.  For any  given wire length and number
of turns-per-inch there is a unique solonoid  height-to-diameter ratio at
which maximum inductance occurs, and this H/D  ratio is approximately .9/1.
Is that correct?

Gary  Peterson

Hi Gary,

     Actually, it is the H/R ratio that is  0.9/1.0  H = 0.9 R,  or H = 0.45
D that gives the  maximum inductance for a solenoid. One can manipulate the
variables to show  that a given wire length and TPI determine a unique coil size
 using THIS ratio.
    The problem with a coil of this ratio is the very  high voltage gradient
(dV/dh) and the very short separation between the topload  and the primary.
    It can likewise be shown that maximum inductance of  a flat coil occurs
when the ratio of inner radius to outer radius is  77/165. Here again, the
length and turns TPI uniquely determine the size once  the ratio is fixed at THIS
value. Not many coilers use flat secondaries,  and maximizing the inductance
of a primary would not be an objective, since  you want to keep Ls/Lp high for
voltage gain, so this is more of a mental  exercise than a practical building
guide.

Hope this helps.

Matt D.

Matt D.