Re: Fw: Shrink a quarter... go to jail. (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:53:17 -0600
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fw: Shrink a quarter...  go to jail. (fwd)

Hi James,

I'll try to answer quickly (before they come to arrest me)...  :^)

During shrinking, the coin is evenly squeezed inward from the rim of the
coin by intense magnetic forces. The magnetic compression force is
strong enough to plastically deform the coin, and as the coin's diameter
is reduced the coin becomes thicker. This occurs within 15 - 25
microseconds. The mass and density remain the same, but the metal
becomes quite work hardened (and very hot!).

See the following for a edge-on picture of a normal and shrunken coin
and a more in-depth explanation.
http://205.243.100.155/frames/Coin_Edge1.jpg
http://Magtheory.teslamania.com

Bert