Re: Cap Formulas (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:15:34 EST
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cap Formulas (fwd)

In a message dated 12/14/06 7:03:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >I figure that the material cost to build a 0.1uf @ 50kv will be in the
> >$300.00 range depending on the final quality of dielectric and
> aluminum.
> >After building the fixture (no problem I have a mill and many other
> assorted

Victor,

I have four homemade rolled caps that I bought from another coiler.
They are made from 60 mil poly in mineral oil.  I and the previous
owner used them for a number of years without any failures for
various coils and power levels up to 8kVA.  I am impressed
by their performance.  The caps are each built into a 6" dia PVC
casing.  They are built according to Richard Hull's design.
I realize many folks have encountered failures with rolled caps,
but I had good results.  Although these caps have been abused
and survived, I don't advise abusing them.

John