Re: Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 03:37:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

I guess my old 8 inch coil that could put out 10 ft sparks must be low powered too.  I used the mains ground in my second floor bedroom getting wall to wall sparks (this must have been in low power mode) and never fried a single electrical component.   Musta been the Terry filter  lol.  I did once have to reset my phone's answering machine.
  Mike

  Ed Wingate - I'm surprised that you haven't chimed in here ;-)
When Ed runs his monster pole pig-powered magnifier (see
http://home1.gte.net/res07cmo/hv/wingate/wingate.htm), he routinely
connects the secondary base to the mains 3rd wire ground in his Tesla
lab, with no ill effects that I'm aware of.  So unless YOU want to tell
Ed that his coil is low powered, I would reject your definition.
Granted, his lab is a structure separate from his house, and I wouldn't
dream of doing the same in my house with a coil powered by anything
that
I wouldn't want dropped on my foot.

Gary's "low powered coil" definition:  If you can deliberately drop the
transformer on your foot, it is "low powered".