RE: grounding bombarders (fwd) - I Wouldn't (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:19:00 +0000
From: Jack King <ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: grounding bombarders (fwd) - I Wouldn't

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: grounding bombarders (fwd)
>Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:27:08 -0700 (MST)
>
>Original poster: List moderator <mod1@xxxxxxxxxx>

It's a HYDE / Willick, and one of the best of the best dry Bombarders -
capable of sustained current well beyond the tag ratings... But even it will
have it's limitations, and wouldnt advise earthing one terminal, as while
the BIL level is high - it's not high enough...and from what I have learned,
I wouldnt park it in an oil bath, as over time, the oil may interfere with
the HAPTZ varnish on both the pri and sec. I only place transformers that
are wound with cotton or fiberglass insulated wire in oil...

Feel free to contact me off list. I know a bit about these, as I purchased
the remaining inventory and tooling, etc from Willick ENgineering, as they
shifted out of Neon and mostly design/fabricate/repair larger X-ray and
other medical transformers now....

Jack King -801-605-5136

>However, if I ground  one of the HV secondary outputs
>to the core, it does make a bit of a corona hissing
>sound, not bad, but definitely there. My question is
>is it ok to ground one side of the HV output as I have
>to assume that corona is generally a "bad" thing? Would
>the "hiss" improve if I were to submerge the transformer
>in oil, even though this transformer is definitely designed
>to run "dry" - but most likely with the HV output completely
>isolated? Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
>David Rieben

Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
cash from MSN today!
http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/index.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us