RE: Cap Formulas (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 23:26:45 -0500
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cap Formulas (fwd)

Mylar, a.k.a. polyester, is a very poor choice for a dielectric in Tesla
coil capacitors.  While a low power coil may get by using Mylar, a
pig-powered coil will toast such a cap before you can say "What's that
smell?"  It's not an issue with thickness, puncture voltage or
dielectric constant - it's the dielectric losses, gauged by the
"dissipation factor" at RF frequencies.  Some common, acceptable
dielectrics are polypropylene, polyethylene (LDPE), and glass.

A 0.2uF cap is a very large cap for a DIY rolled cap, and as will most
others, I would strongly suggest abandoning a rolled cap using any kind
of dielectric for an MMC.  I have made two laborious attempts at rolled
caps using LDPE in mineral oil, and both have suffered the same
unpleasant fate.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA