RE: PCB 40ppm where sould oil be sampled.Pandora's box

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,
Unless you heated it pretty hot to ignite it....I doubt it was PCBs. Althought it's possible to have some in the oil, PCB's are pretty hard to burn. Although PCBs do not ignite themselves, they can be combusted under extreme and carefully controlled conditions. Current regulations require that PCBs are burnt at a temperature of 1200ºC for at least two seconds, in the presence of fuel oil and excess oxygen. A lack of oxygen can result in the formation of <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PCDD&action=edit>PCDDs, <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PCDF&action=edit>PCDFs and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin>dioxins, or the incomplete destruction of the PCBs. Such specific conditions mean that it is extremely expensive to destroy PCBs on a tonnage scale, and it can only be used on PCB containing equipment and contaminated liquid. This method is not suitable for the decontamination of affected soils. ( from Wikipedia). Personally, I'd not try to incinerate the stuff...just use it for it's intended purpose and make sure not to spill any, if possible. I mean, you already have the oil there....why try to make a superfund site out of your house when you can simply use it with care and common sense? Even newer transformer oils are not likely too good for the environment.......heck a few millileters of motor oil can pollute a million liters of water.....
Mike

Original poster: "Jim Mora"

Hi Mike

Yes. No contact was made. I burned 2 inches vigorously up wind from
copious
black smoke. This is not how PCB normally acts is it?