RE: tesla design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Adriano:

Capacitors from X-ray machines are designed to filter the HV DC, and
have no need of high pulse-current capabilities or low-loss dielectrics
at high frequencies.  While salt water caps may be less than ideal, it's
probable that they'll out-perform an X-ray machine cap.

Since you already have one, I'd suggest trying it, and using a larger
primary to compensate for the lower-than-optimal cap value.  You should
be able to reduce the capacitance of your salt water cap to match the uF
value of the X-ray cap, and compare the performance between the two
caps.  If the X-ray cap does in fact work better, then think about
finding a second one, but I suspect you'll be better with the salt water
cap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA