Re: EXTENDING CREDIT: an Unscrupulous Buyer - Be Forewarned:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

EITHER WAY,
sending payment before receiving the item,
or sending the item before receiving payment, involves
"stupidity", trust, niceness, risk, or whatever you
care to call it, on one person's part.

With eBay, we can all go by a buyer's or seller's
feedback. I like to see dozens, if not hundreds of
mostly satisfied customers. Here on the list, we
really don't have anything to go by. Earlier this
year, I bought two current limiting chokes from Jack.
He shipped them before telling me the total price,
including shipping. I trusted that I'd get a usable
item, and he trusted me enough to ship it without
getting paid first. Neither of us knew each other. I
used to do that for eBay items I sold. I'd ask if they
wanted it shipped fast or cheap. Then I'd ship it and
email them the total cost, not telling them it had
shipped. Once I received the PayPal, I told them it
was already on the way. Then I got burned by a spastic
buyer and received my only neutral feedback, because
it took three emails to get the buyer's mailing
address and shipping preference (fast or cheap). All
my eBay items now have a fixed shipping price, and it
costs all bidders a little bit more than they could
have had an item for. Sometimes you have to change
your habits based on getting burned. Kinda like the
teacher that punishes the whole class for the acts of
one student.

I've made some fairly large purchases from half a
dozen list members. Many involved me sending money for
something I might never get. I had a 6" x 24" OWL bulk
buy toroid that arrived dented, I had a 34 kV DC PSU
never arrive, I had a stack of 1256's and a srsg that
arrived damaged, and had a VFD go missing. Each was
satisfactorily corrected. What I'm saying is shifting
the risk from the seller to the buyer doesn't really
solve the problem, unless there are more deadbeat
buyers than deadbeat sellers.

I hope you ultimately get your money.

Adam

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson"