Re: real life applications

Original poster: "Daniel Kline" <daniel_kline@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

 >> A small point.  Someone (Marc Seifer? Apologies if wrong.)
 >>     found an article where Tesla, originally critical of van de Graaff
 >>    generators, said, roughly:
 >>        On second thought, should work, even be useful.
 >>
 >>     I wonder, sometimes, how many other 'chganges of mind' never
 >>     got reported as widely...
 >     That's interesting because Harry Goldman reprinted an article on
 > VDG's written by Tesla in the 1930's in which he gave a good
 > analytical estimate of performance and I can't remember any scorn in
 > it.  Somehow I'm surprised at the suggestion.
      At a guess, we are describing more or less the same instance,
      with me getting the name wrong and perhaps the initial
      skepticism replaced after some thought.
      Be interesting to know for sure.
       best
        dwp

That article is Scientific American, Vol. 150, pp. 132-4, March 1934, according to my notes, anyway :-)

I have a poor copy that I can scan if there is interest, or maybe someone can get a good copy from a nearby College library.

Dan K.