RE: real life applications, steered back on topic

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

> Many skeptics said the Spruce Goose (troop carrier for the war) would
> never get off the ground.
    Water.  It was a seaplane.
    'flew' once, for a mile or so, a few 10s of feet in the air.
    (cf 'ground effect' for the quotes around flew.  Flew well
    after the war.

> Howard Hughes and his engineers had faith that
> it would and endless self funding. Tesla did say his death ray would
> down enemy aircraft. I have faith that that had physiological effects on
> the enemy, which it was probably designed to do.
    'Faith may move mountains:
       but its a good idea to bring a shovel.'

> I don't know many that doubt Tesla's Genius. Niagara Falls was in his
> mind as a youth. He seldom had doubt that his ideas would work before
> they were made which could be considered faith based as well. The mere
> fact that he took the patent away from Marconi, to my knowledge, is
> still not in the HS curriculum text books, which is astonishing.
    I find the use of lawsuit, funded by big money (RCA) as
    an iffy way to settle invention.

> If I not mistaken he was admired by Einstein.
    I'd be interested in a cite.

> I have faith and much evidence that he was a genius.
    concur, however even geniuses are not always right.
    cf Einstein, for one.

> The mere fact that he considered Edison's DC as folly is noticed by me
> every time I look out the window or drive down the road studying the
> grid.
   Varies depending on where on the grid one is.
   I routinely drive under a +/-500KV _DC_ international power
   line, calmly moving megwatts, likely including some of those
   that power this message.

> To this day aren't Tesla coils used to study aircraft's lightning
> effects on the skin and the "hardening" of the electronics?
   and all manner of other surge generatos, Marx banks, etc.

   best
    dwp