Re: Photo of my mystery transformer

Original poster: Daniel Hess <dhess1@xxxxxxxxxx>

Josh;

PBCs in liquid form is not really hazardous. It's the smoke it gives off when heated that's toxic, much like fabric and plastic upholstery or carpet does in a fire. So why my sofa isn't on the EPA's top ten list is beyond me.

The problem with PBCs used in transformers or capacitors is when they overheat and/or vent/explode, they spew out a bunch of flaming, smoking PBC oil and that truly is a heath concern if you happen to be in the vicinity of such an event. Just not to the extent that the safety Nazi's have made it.

I agree with the consensus of the list; keep mum and enjoy. A cool find.

Be safe,

Daniel Hess

"Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

12/02/2006 09:46 AM
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: Photo of my mystery transformer

Hi Al,

snip>

> Original poster: ashumate3@xxxxxxx
>
> In a message dated 12/1/2006 2:42:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> http://flickr.com/photos/knewter/310977851/in/set-72157594400131325/
>
> And yes it does contain PCB's, I have worked with it before and I've
> noticed no ill effects. The ill effects is mostly hype screamed by a
> bunch of chicken littles who have nothing else better to do with there
lives.

However, since the EPA and all of the other "chicken little
groups" don't share this view with us, it would be a good idea
to just keep your mouth shut if you do come across a
transformer or capacitor that you suspect of containing
PCBs, as it can become a very hellish nightmare of redtape &
expense to dispose of PCBs LEGALLY.  That's the main reason
that I now choose to avoid old, pre-1977 oil-filled electrical
gear like the plague, NOT because I'm scared that touching
PCB oil will give my cancer.

> Al Shumate
> Dublin, VA

David Rieben