Re: toroid construction, was balancing choke

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Jim

This was made many years ago. In 1998. It is a little hard to explain.
The toroid is made out of a spiral of lengthwise profiled aluminum strip.

Most toroids I saw in those days (and now for that matter) were simply cut over as squarely as possible with a knife, and put together with aluminum tape.

The way I used in those days enabled me to make an assembly that was invisible, except just there inside, where the 2 equatorial cuts meet.

That toroid is long gone, and I have trouble replicating the method now. "I have lost the knack of it" and I have since gotten access to spun toroids so whenever I need a costum size for experimental purposes I just slap it together with aluminum tape like everybody else seem to do.

I have since advanced my understanding of electronics, and I observe that this makes me more sloppy when it comes to the mechanical parts.

Back then, making stuff look good was all i had.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list skrev:
Hi Finn,
What is the reason for the equatorial cut in your toroid on you site? I have
4 pieces of 12" (30.5cm) aluminum duct. I figured the less expansion the
stronger it will be. It will total out at 60" (152cm).
Thanks,
Jim Mora
Man, you can make everything from scratch!