Re: 12" Secondary

The red liquid is called Glyptal mfg by G.E. Available by the qt. from GE Supply or thru most large motor rewinding shops.

I've used it on the inside and outside of Sonotubes for years --- works great. Sand tube slightly with 600 grit to help adhesion. Use 3 medium coats both inside and outside of tube.

A finshing coat of McMaster-Carr spray on electrical insulation will give it a nice high gloss finish. McMaster-Carr at $3.45 per spray on can. Excellent insulation for magnet wire and PVC wire windings.

Be sure to use a 1/4 inch thick acyrlic baffle (internal flashover prevention) in each end approx 6 inches up inside tube. Silicone in place with clear G.E. Silicone II (Home Depot). Don't use the black --- it dries much slower.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: Joe Smith <joesmith@xxxxxxxx>

Anyone know what the red liquid that is used in motor re-winding shops is called?
I'd like to know what to ask for when I go to my local motor shop.
I'm thinking this might be the way to go with my 12" cardboard tube(sonotube?)
Any comments welcome.
Regards
Joe Smith