Re: Need GE MOV data

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Putting fuses in line with MOVs defeats the whole purpose of them. If MOVs are hit with a surge too big to clamp, they are designed to fail short and take out the supply completely. Using an overcurrent device is good but it should be in line with the supply to the equipment, and rated such that it blows when the MOVs fail short.

I was once working on a job and when I switched it on there was a loud explosion and the breaker tripped. It turned out that I had wired the equipment's control power (meant to be 230V) between two hots of the 400V 3 phase supply by mistake. I blame the new European wiring colours :-< Anyway, there was an MOV inside the line filter in the equipment and this failed short, blowing the breakers and saving the equipment from destruction. The MOV exploded violently enough to blow a hole in the metal case of the filter, but the remains of it still managed to short out the supply. Once we replaced the filter and connected the equi pment to the proper supply voltage, it worked fine.

You can guess what would have happened if the MOV had been fused: the fuse would have popped and the equipment would have fried.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx

Gary

Watch the MOV's. They have a nasty habit of failing shorted.
I was testing some brand new electronics assemblies early
in my career. The assembly had GE V130LA20A
(130Vrms 200Vpk, 20J) across incoming AC line. Plugged
unit in, turn Control Power on ..... KKAAAAABOOOOM!!!!!

I thought the world had ended (and I had bought some
electronics :^C ) It was loud enough that I was surrounded
by co-workers in about 10 secs. Turned out the MOV's
were _soldered_ into crimp conne ctors, then tightened
down in a screw barrier teminal block. Soldering MOV's is
a NO-NO unless you heat sink them. You will shift the zener
knee voltage LOWER, and they will blow-up! OBTW, after
replacing with a new MOV _mechanically_crimped_ into
stak-ons and rewiring terminal strip, everything was OK and
no damage to sub-assembly was done (except for the black
smudge spot on the aluminum bracket ... :^D )

If you do use a MOV, put an OCD (fuse, CB) in line with them to
limit the "magic smoke release" when they do fail.

John A.: This tale of excitement also colloborates your
USN comments. The MOV when is let go threw a
plasma fireball the size of a tangerine!! I wasn't
hurt; my pants, that's a different matter ;^)

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA

From: "Tesla list"