Re: A&E tv

Hi all,

There's been a lot of talk about this show casting a "bad image"
of our little "lightning machines" and I would have to agree that we
certainly don't want anything making it harder for us to enjoy our
hobby. I noticed that one or two list members were comparing
Tesla coils in danger to guns and then pointing out how heavily
regulated gun possesion has become. While it's certainly obvious that both can be deadly under the right (or wrong) circumstances, I think the relative small number of Tesla coils (especially
on the scale of Big Bruiser) is probably going to assure the danger status of our hobby a low priority on the OSHA
safety watchdogs' list for regulation. The sheer proliferation
of fire arms in our society pretty well forces the government
to step in with regulations to supposedly control whose hands
that they get into but I think the small number of Tesla coils pretty
well assures that the governmental authorities have much "big-
ger fish to fry" for now than to worry about a few hundred or thou-
sand coilers who are firing big Tesla coils in their driveways to
the chagrine of their neighbors ;^) Of course it wouldn't take but a few "idiots" to do something really stupid with a coil that would
bring unwanted attention to our hobby and so far, we'ver really
been fortunate there - let's try to keep it that way.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:06 PM Subject: Re: A&E tv

Original poster: Kidd6488@xxxxxxx
Was there any disclaimer or anything that stated this? I would hate to have thousands of people getting the 'wrong idea' about our hobby...
Jonathon