RE: Re[2]: MMC

Original poster: "Langer Giv'r" <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

hi i have decided i will use a 9KV transformer at 30 mA. I also am thinking of using 1KV caps as that is basically all mouse.com has at 0.047uF. I have managed to extend my budget by 5 dollars to 30 CND$ so all i basically need to know now is the # of strings and the ammount of caps on them. thanks

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re[2]: MMC
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 05:26:36 -0600

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Daniel,

I'm afraid you won't come that far with a 25 Canadian dollar budget. Most builders make 5 strings to divide the current. High voltage capacitors don't often come in a high pulse speed (Vµs) and the ones that do are expensive. This means a lower voltage lets say you decide to use the DC rating of capacitors instead of the AC rating and the capacitor is rated at 1000VDC. The Transformers peak voltage is 21213V. To require a minimum safety voltage for your MMC (having your budget in mind) I would go for 25KV.

Now the Primary capacitance depends on your main frequency and voltage. This is for a:

110V 60Hz = 5.30nF

A safer capacitance for your transformer is called LTR (Larger than resonance) and depends on the type of sparkgap you are planning to build. This is for a:

Static spark gap (SSG) 7.95nF

Rotary spark gap (RSG) 14.85nF

230V 50Hz = 6.36nF

The RTL for 230V 50Hz systems are:

Static spark gap (SSG) 9.54nF

Rotary spark gap (RSG) 17.82nF

Ok, now you just devide the max DC rating by the required voltage of 25000, this means if you buy capacitors of 1000VDC you would need 25 per string, this times 5 strings. But with your budget this will only be one string. This means your MMC will not live that long. You could look on ebay to see if you can get a good deal?

I have used for my 15KV 30mA 55 caps per string (I used ACV rating) and build a 5 string's MMC.

I hope this helped?

Best regards,

Sebas.

Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 5:48:23 AM, you wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel Giv'r"

> <<mailto:transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hey, I have decided to switch from a saltwater

> capacitor to a MMC.  I am planning on getting

> either a 15KV 30mA transformer and i dont really

> know how to calculate it.  I have tried many

> online calulators but i dont know what would be

> the best type.... should I go with hundreds of

> caps with very small capacitance or a couple with

> larger capacitance?  I am on a fairly small

> budget ($20-25) for just the caps.  please E-mail

> back with some info it would be of immense help, Thanks a lot

> Daniel from Canada

>>From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

>>To: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

>>Subject: Re: AC Resistance of wires - was 8 kHz Tesla Coil