Re: Winding a Spiral Primary

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dr Bill; Winding the flat coils is easy with the correct tools such as a
table saw' First cut 6 pieces of plastic to suport and insulate the coil.
Then cut equaly staced groves in each plastic strip to look like a comb for
1/4 inch tubing your groves should be just over 1/4 " and about 1/4 inch
deep. If your plastic is 1" strips that provides good suport and insulation.
If you use a table saw you put in 2 blades to cut the width , cut your first
grove in each plastic strip. Then clamp a 1/4 width  scrap spaced 1/2 inch
beside the blade Now place the first grove over the scrap and cut your 2nd,
3rd, etc. Every grove will be perfectly staced. Now place your roled tubing
on top the equaly spaced strips like spokes of a wheel and snap your first 3
or 4 rurns of tubing the first groves. Your strips will not be centered. so
you mark each strip to provide a common center and cut the inside  ends of
each strip to provide a center in common then snap the coil into the strips
un rolling the copper enough to fit the coil spacing. now you can bond the
coil solid in place. for poly ethylene a heated soldering iron will bend a
holding tab or use heat gun glue. Other plastics will bond with a solvent
glue. Now you can cut the outside of your strips or just don't bother. Most
plastics mount well with nylon screws. The two main tricks is to have the
grones just wide enough to allow for the curve of the coil and don't unroll
your new factory flat coiled roll of tubing before you start.
   Robert   H