Re: Safety gap issues

At 04:23 PM 11/25/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I knew about the last thing you said. The fast break rate of tesla coil allows previously ionized channels to act like wires in the air, for future sparks to jump through. This effect allows the jackob ladder's effect, and streamer growth. Trust me, im not some idiot raving about laws and equations. I too have wondered if my calculatioons are way off, but half of my calculated voltage? Oh god that sucks- a mere 195KV output. Hardly a tesla coil at all.

If you're concerned about voltage on your top load (as opposed to spark length, the usual "figure of merit" for tesla coils), why don't you measure it? It's non trivial, but certainly doable.

If you want to "estimate" the voltage on your tesla coil from it's physical design, your best bet is to measure the radius of curvature. The voltage won't be much higher than the radius of curvature in cm times 30 kV/cm, and will likely be lower (since that's the max voltage for smooth sphere with nothing around it).

*I HAVE GOOD NEWS THOUGH. I JUST BOUGHT SOME RATHER SWEET MMC CAPS ON EBAY. I WILL SOON RECEIVE THEM AND STRING THEM TOGETHER. AFTER I PUT IT INTO MY SYSTEM, I WILL FINALLY BE ABLE TO TURN MY POWER UP ALL THE WAY. ILL BET MY COIL WILL HAVE A MUCH HIGHER OUTPUT THEN. Currently im running at 60% power.

Thanks for the help :P