Re: Tesla Receiver Coil

> The Colorado Springs Notes is one of the biggest
>bodies of writing that Tesla left us. When reading it
>I was often surprised by how he seemed to wander
>around between disciplines. One minute he would be
>doing routine electrical engineering calculations on
>resonating coils and transformers. On the next page he
>would be speculating about the "Dark rays of the sun"
>or something that sounds totally crazy.

Richard Hull's "Guide to the CSN" makes a point in the preface of reminding the reader that Tesla was working under less-than-ideal conditions out in the "boonies" of CS. He often had to wait for apparatus to be manufactured to his telegraphed instructions, then shipped at great expense from "Headquarters" back in NYC. So Tesla had to just sit around and wait weeks for some critical component to show up before he could conduct his next experiment. From what I've heard, this must have driven the restless Tesla (even more?) nuts! Probably contributed much to Tesla's "jumping around" on seemingly different disciplines, and going off on wild theoretical tangents while killing precious time.

-Phil LaBudde"

Sounds reasonable and I've often wondered the same things. In days when we order something by email and expect it within two days at most, the time delay in writing to New York, having stuff made, and getting it back must have been almost intolerable. It would be most interesting to know what Mr. T did with his spare time. Lots of beautiful scenery around there but I've never heard that he was much of a nature lover.

Ed