Re: power transformers efficiency

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> However, AC charging coils can draw a
> lot more power than you would assume, because of
> resonant charging and ferroresonance effects.

there is no any resonant charging in my psu, coz i hate any resonances
in psu - you may even stop the rsg and the voltage on the cap would
freeze at 20kv - forever :-)

> So if you want to have your claims on efficiency taken
> seriously, you have to actually measure the power
> going into your system from the wall plug, with a true
> RMS wattmeter. This is what is meant by "wallplug
> draw".

hey, Steve - i don`t claim anything - i even don`t have a coil yet!
%-) i just ask you, who have coils,  what`s wrong in my ideas. maybe
you think i have to post such questions into the tesla-2 mail list?
i`ll do it, if i could get an answers there %-)

but - "if you want to have your words that "AC charging coils can draw
a lot more power than you  would assume" taken seriously", you have to
actually measure not only the power going into your  system from the
wall plug, but also the power, which has actually reached your
primary cap - d`you agree? i speak just about the _ac charging_, as
your oltc and drsstc have the bridge rectifier and a huge
electrolytic at the input - it`s the other story i think.

really - let`s imagine that my coil will draw _only_ 1.5 times more
than i assumed - 3kw instead of 2kw. it  means, that 1kw would be
wasted into heating the transformers and inductors? it`s _a lot_ - 60w
heat one mot during the 15 minutes till 65 degrees - can you imagine
what would be with the psu at 1kw losses power? :-D

> You can get a digital power meter such as the Radio
> Shack Kill-A-Watt for about $20 nowadays.

in my country we don`t have things like "Radio Shack", also as
"Kill-A-Watt" (for 20$ in any case). i guess the analog wattmeter is
more useful for measuring the power of such  non-constant load as the
tc, as it allows to make an "optical integration" - with the help of
the eyes :-)

-----
If you ever set up a wireless power transmitting station like
Wardencliffe as proposed by Tesla, I will personally come and kick
your ass! (c) 25-07-1996 Robert W. Stephens