Re: outdoor coils

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz" <mark_w_stolz@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

When building a 12" coil here outside of Houston, TX (elevation 43', 100% humidity/temperature) that was shipped to Kalispell, MT (elevation 2954', low humidity/temperature) I too used Marine Spar Varnish and have had no problems with the coil.

God Bless,
Mark Stolz
Pearland, TX

http://teslacoils4christ.org/

Hi Chris, Robert,

Interesting! I'm in CA these days but started coiling in Minnesota which is cold cold cold. I didn't use PVC but sonotube at that point which I did coat inside and out with a thinned-out urethane (to absorb into the sonotube). Due to the temp swings, I decided to use Marine Spar Varnish for the outer coating. This particular varnish remains flexible (hard to the touch). I've never had any problems with cracking, shrinking, expanding, etc.. Just wanted to mention that as it's available at all hardware stores. Even though I'm in sunny CA, I still use the same varnish. It's been a nice varnish and goes on thick.

Take care,
Bart