Re: Beginner Q's

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/16/2005 10:54:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: Michael Brooks <screaminfleadesigns@xxxxxxxxx>

I am working on the cap for my coil and have some probably
rudamentary questions.

The dialectric I have chosen is high density polyethylene and the
plates are to be roof flashing.
I used the Teslac program by Mark Graalman for the perameters and
found that using 40mil poly and 60" X 14" flashing would give me
.019uf @ 8kV.  The transformer is an Allanson NST 15kV @ 30ma. The
trans/cap matching program stated the trans could handle .0038uf and
would need to be rated at least 37500v for stability.

I figure I will need to build 5 caps and put them in series, this
will give me the .0038uf I need and a 40Kv rating.

.0038 ufd sounds too low to me. I use .010 to .015 ufd for a 15 kv 30 ma transformer.

Q1: Where can I find 40mil poly? The closest I have found is a 6 mil at a hardware store and I assumme I cannot just use multiple layers to get the 40 mils.

The cap will actually work better with several to many layers of dielectric material used to make up the desired thickness. One sheet of 40 mil poly will likely have minor defects that will cause failure. Look up plastics suppliers in the yellow pages. If they don't stock ldpe, they can order it for you. I would use a thickness that would allow at least 3 or 4 layers.

Q2: How tightly does this cap ne ed to be rolled as far as the ID of the completed cap coil?

I just rolled mine as tight as I could. It is kind of a two person job.

Q3: I have 6 gallons of transformer oil for the caps but am looking for ideas about the container for them - would setting the rolls inside PVC pipe and capping the ends be feasible?

I used 6" dia pvc pipe with endcaps.

Q4: What are some ways to band the completed cap coil so it does not fly apart?

I used nylon tie straps.

Q5: What are some methods and materials for attaching leads to the cap plates?

I used bolts and screws to bring 1.0" wide straps up to brass bolts that go through the endcap.

Thank you all for your input,

'Flea

Have fun,  Ed Sonderman