Coupling

Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

I know that tweeking these coils is how we figure this stuff out, but getting educated opinions doesn't hurt. I finally got to fire up my new coil.

6" O.D. sec., wound for 32", about 1000 turns
3/8" cu tube, spaced 3/8" for 10 turns
sucker gap
right now 30 nF 35 KV maxwell
14400V  PT running @ 1800 W -125 MA

I'm not getting the performance I expect. Right now about 52" strikes.
I suspect the coupling may be a little loose. The first turn of pri.is 1-1/4" from sec, and first turn of sec. is 2-1/2" above the pri. Tomorrow I may try to find some longer nylon screws, and raise the primary.
So what do you think, am I too loose? Should I bother doinng this?