Re: calculations

The 1/4 inch copper tubing will work fine. You could also use 1/8th inch refrigeration tubing for a more compact primary. Be sure to make up a test winding with some scrap 12 AWG wire first to check the resonance point.

The cap is always larger so it doesn't resonnate with the xmfr and damage it. A .005 uF cap will work great with this size xmfr. I would not use a .02 unless you meant .002 uF? Use .005 and you will have good success.

With a 4 inch dia. sec coil use a winding length of approx 22 inches.

Dr. Resonance

thanks for your referals to go to those sims they work wonders. also, i think i am going to go with a 4 in diameter instead like you suggested the inductance is a lot higher. however, i do have a few more questions that have been confusing me with these simulators. the first is if the res cap size for a 4kv 30ma 60hz transformer is .0199 uf why does the coil i am trying to build call for a 4800pf cap? the next question i had was that i pan on using 1/4 inch copper water tubing for the primary. since this is hollow is there a way for javatc to take into account that the wire dismeter is not a solid 1/4" but instead a hollow tube with a certian thickness?
thanks again for all your time and willingness to help beginning tesla coilers like myself.