Re: calculations

Original poster: "Michael Ong" <omenowner725@xxxxxxxxxxx>

thanks for your referals to go to those sims they work wonders. also, i think i am going to go with a 4 in diameter instead like you suggested the inductance is a lot higher. however, i do have a few more questions that have been confusing me with these simulators. the first is if the res cap size for a 4kv 30ma 60hz transformer is .0199 uf why does the coil i am trying to build call for a 4800pf cap? the next question i had was that i pan on using 1/4 inch copper water tubing for the primary. since this is hollow is there a way for javatc to take into account that the wire dismeter is not a solid 1/4" but instead a hollow tube with a certian thickness?
thanks again for all your time and willingness to help beginning tesla coilers like myself.

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: calculations
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:05:59 -0700

Since your voltage is so low, I would definitely consider going to a 4 inch dia coil as inductance goes up as square of the radius of the coil and inductance x rate change of current (dI/dt) is what produces voltage.

Dr. Resonance

hello, i am going to be building a tesla coil modled after one on the internet that's a 4kv 4800pf primary 11 turns of 1/4 inch coper secondary 1000 turns of 30 AWG with a pvc diameter of 2.5 inches. i was wondering how do you get these numbers. like how do you know how wide the coil has to be. or the turn ratio, or how do you find the frequency of the coil so you can determine the value of the capacitor you need. any calculations that you guys know to solve for these things would be very helpful. i would like to get to the point where i can make a coil totaly on my own. thanks agian for all the help
-michael

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/