Re: Maxwell

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxx>

Rich,

The 25A means 25A RMS throgh the cap.  I don't know what you'll end up
putting through it on average from a certain power supply, but your power
supply may be somewhat close (15 to 20A), though this is just an estimate
on my part.  Dr. Resonance or many others may be able to comment more
directly on this as they have a lot of experience with a lot of different
coils.

25A through the cap is actually quite easy to obtain as the peak currents
from the cap are huge.  You could calculate the RMS current by knowing the
Q of the primary circuit (and where it quenches) - ie the ringdown shape,
and breakrate. If you wanted to be more precise, you could factor in the
charging current as well.  If none of this makes sense to you, check out
Richie Burnett's website for a great explanation of how a Tesla Coil works
(ringdown, etc).

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL