Re: Lab sparks make x-rays

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>
 > Thinking here that high-intensity sparks produce a very loud sound. The
 > sound means that a large amount of air is moved away from the spark
 > channel. Maybe for some time interval a high enough vacuum is formed at
 > the spark channel, and electrons are accelerated to high enough speeds
 > there by the electric field. When they shock against the air around
 > the channel X-rays may be emitted.
but electric field inside of the (long) spark channel may be as weak
as 300v/cm, and even smaller - it is enough for successful acceleration?
I think that the timimg problem already mentioned is a more serious
objection against this idea (when the air expands away violently the
maximum current already passed). The electric field in the channel may be
very irregular (for example when the spark is forming and when it is
ending), and at some points may exceed by large amounts the average value.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz