RE: center tapped transformers

At 02:39 PM 11/4/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

There is not a consensus on this question, and there are valid reasons
for both configurations.

RF ground is what the secondary base is tied to, and should go to a
ground rod separate from the mains-ground.

If the NST mid-tap is wired to mains-ground, the NST core (connected
internally to the mid-tap) is at the same potential as the
mains-neutral.  The NST case is safe to touch (the main reason cited for
connecting it to the mains-ground).  But if there should be a streamer
strike to the primary coil, the safety gaps (you have these, right?)
will fire, channeling the streamer current to the NST case and into your
mains-ground.  Not healthy. And I don't think the safety angle carries
any weight as you shouldn't ever be touching the NST when the coil is
powered.

Except that if you don't connect the greenwire ground, when that same safety gap firing will put the HV RF into the 110V line, which is even worse than the greenwire ground.

If the NST mid-tap is wired to the RF ground, there may be a very high
RF potential between RF ground and mains-ground (neutral wire), and it's
been suggested that the NST primary insulation may at risk.  But should
there be a streamer strike to the primary coil, it would be safely
channeled to RF ground.  While the potential across the NST
primary-to-core insulation is worrisome, I've never heard of an NST
failing for a primary side failure.  But the devil's advocate must ask -
if there was primary-to-core leakage, would that even be detected?  It
could elevate the RF ground to a mains fault condition.

I personally use the RF ground connection, but I acknowledge that
neither is perfect under all scenarios.

Why not connect both? NST case to RF ground (with low impedance connection) and to greenwire ground.

Then, the strike/safety gap scenario will return the RF power to the bottom of the secondary (where it belongs). If you're worried about RF propagating back up the greenwire ground, then put an RF choke on the greenwire.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA