Re: Lab sparks make x-rays

At 04:00 PM 11/2/2005, Tesla list wrote:

The mean free path in air is less than 2 mm so it's difficult to accelerate electrons to high velocity to do this. Also, most large terminals for these potentials are made of spun aluminum, an element not very conducive to X-ray production with it's low atomic number.

I think the production of xrays in air is more a function of di/dt than voltage. There's also a heating aspect (get a plasma hot enough, and it radiates xrays from blackbody radiation.. 1 eV = 11000 K ). Probably a Z-pinch effect.

Off hand, I doubt a TC has the discharge energy with low enough inductance to do it. The soft Xray generating things I've seen tend to have more energy with a very low inductance discharge path. Bear in mind that none of these are traditional bremsstrahlung type xray producers (where you accelerate an electron and crash it into a target, as in a conventional xray tube). They're more in the thermonuclear reaction regime.