Re[2]: cap/mmc inquirery

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Daniel,

I recommend building 3 strings, this because of your budget. Keep in mind that this number might be to low if the pulse rate of your capacitors is low. You want the best MMC for little money? If it is your intention to make a rotary gap instead of a static gap, you will end up spending more money on capacitors and motor while a static gap can save you money on capacitance and can be constructed with copper pipes obtained for free at a "järnskrot" (I don't know the English word for this, but it is the place where they recycle metal)

Than, you have to ask yourself the question if you're planning to build a nice one time coil for which I recommend you to use the AC voltage rating of the capacitor. Or if it's just an experiment that should not cost to much? In that case you can use the DC rating.

For a static spark gap the RTL capacitance on a 60Hz system is 9.15nF If you use 18 capacitors you won't have to worry about the peak voltage. I assume your 1000V rating was the DC voltage of your capacitor, and I think I have heard Terry once saying that working with DC rating gives an average MMC lifetime of 10 hours, keep that in mind.

By using 56nF capacitors instead of 47nF you will get a higher capacitance per string.

47nF divided by 18 is 2.61nF where 56nF divided by 18 equals 3.11nF

Now if you build 3 strings of 18 capacitors, each rated at 56nF and place those 3 strings in parallel with each other you will have a nice 9.33nF MMC rated at 18000VDC this does cost you 64.26$ tough (assuming that the price of the 56nF is the same as your 47nF).

I hope this helped you a little?

Kind regards,

Sebastiaan

--