Re: X-ray HV cables

Original poster: syd <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That is normal. It is a semi-conductive layer. You'll find it both under the braid, and around the center conductors. It createds a voltage gradient to diminish stress on the hv insulation. Just unwind the semi-conductiing tape down to the orange insulation and give yourself enough stripped end so that it won't track.

syd klinge

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

I got a 150 KV rated xray HV cable. Per D.C.'s recomendations, I stripped the outer jacket, removed the braded shield, and cut off the 'candlestick' ends. I then reterminated to acomadate the connections as I needed. The outer jacket (what was under the shield CONDUCTS !! It nicely shorted the hv output of my PT! What's going on here? Is this normal? I placed the hv leads of a 15kv nst at 2 points on the insulation away from the conductor, and it happilly arced! Any thoughts would be apreciated.